Saturday, November 27, 2010

Gold Coast

DAY 14, SUN AUG 22 After having seen enough of Brisvegas, I decided it was time to see what the Gold Coast was all about.  I was in search for waves of course.  Put a surfer out of the water for a week and we start to get withdrawals.  I was certain I’d find some waves in Surfers Paradise and booked my chartered bus ride yesterday afternoon. But later that evening before departing on a 2-hour bus ride, a recent visitor named Kate informed me the city’s name is very misleading.  I had already booked my bus and hostel so I thought I’d find out for myself. 
Buut…she was right.  It was far from paradise.  As the bus began to enter the surfer town, it instantly reminded me of the break back home, Virginia Beach, but smaller and dirtier.  It had tall hotel buildings, blocks of bars and restaurants along the coast, and people walking around in colorful bikinis and board shorts.  It was a clear and warm day at the beach and despite the city’s appearance, I was ready to soak in the sun in my bikini.

 The only cool thing in Surfer's Paradise

 Welcome to Surfer's Paradise Marquee
I quickly checked into this typical beach hostel named the Sleeper's Inn which reminded me of the Melrose Place, though not as fabulous.  There was a small swimming pool located near the entrance and the building structure surrounded it.  Luckily my room was around the corner, on the first floor and had it’s own little kitchen.  My bunk bed was located in a private room with 2 bunks.  The others had to sleep in the hallway towards the kitchen and bathroom.  I can’t imagine that anyone could sleep that well in such a high traffic area, but then again most people can sleep through a hurricane and not budge.  But regardless of my surroundings, I dropped my bags, changed into my shorts and bikini, said hello to the British girls staying in the room and started to make my way towards the beach. 
Katerina decided to join me for the afternoon to have our usual Sunday sesh before she had to see her friend’s performance later that evening.  Luckily our different chartered buses arrived closely at the same time so we could enjoy the sun together.  The winter sun in Australia quickly runs out of steam as soon as 3 or 4 o’clock hits, so it was a limited beach day as Katerina and I both arrived around 1pm.  We met half way and made a pit stop at McDonald’s because I was craving an M&M McFlurry.  I took the first bite of that delicious treat and instantly felt I was in a familiar place; home…on the corner of 21st Street and Pacific Avenue.  There were many people on the beach, many of which were backpackers.  I knew instantly because a large group was squatted on the sands with their bulky backpacks.  It was as if bums were living on the beach…hmmm sounds familiar.  Brazilians were playing sand soccer, girls in the tiniest bikini’s, a few people playing catch, and even fewer surfers in the water.  It was chilly with the Arctic wind blowing from the coast and waves were small and choppy.  I was definitely in Virginia Beach.
After soaking in the UV rays, Katerina and I made our way back to my hostel to change for evening festivities.  Before leaving we asked the reception desk to see which restaurant was best for dinner and a good place to go for Sunday Sesh.  We walked towards Billy’s Beach Bar and Grill as suggested to us, but decided it was too early to go there.  We ended up at an Irish pub, similar to the one back in Sydney and repeated the Sunday Sesh tradition.  We ordered a pint of beer, our meals, and paid for it at the bar.  I find it quite convenient that most places in Australia requires you to order and pay first so you don't have to deal with waiting for the bill to come.  Tips or Gifts and Services Tax (GST) is always included so you don't have to calculate a tip either.  Although convenient, customer service is limited to say the least.  Katerina enjoyed a large meal of fish and chips as I decided on a burger.  I’ve had many burgers, but this one takes the cake on the largest or at least the tallest stacked one I’d ever come across.  I stared at it for a moment and debated whether I could even fit the thing in my tiny little mouth.  I even took a picture just to prove how big this sucker was.  (SN: and no…that’s not what she said!) But I was hungry and thought why not, doesn’t hurt to try right?  I cut it in half first thinking it'd be more manageable but it really wasn't.  I could barely take my first bite.  As soon as the tiny bite hit my mouth, a rush of rich flavor filled my mouth…it was so delicious.  Enjoying our meal, an older man began to set up on the stage beside us and began to play cover songs with his guitar while the melody of the song played low in the background.  His first song was Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds,” and I knew then it was going to be a good night.


 Sunset view of the beach from the Pub
 BIG BURGER!!

We left after devouring our meals and walked over to give the Billy’s Beach Bar a try.  It was still early as only a handful of people were in the bar, but we went in anyway before Katerina had to catch the last bus back to Brisvegas.  We sat outside near a heat lamp and ordered drinks by the pool.  This was the life, I could only imagine what this place looked like in the summer as the pool was heated and a large truss system hovered the empty pool.  As we finished our round of drinks, a few Irish men decided to come talk to us.  We quickly got bored with their conversations and hoped they’d leave us alone, but one was persistent even though his friends had left him stranded.  We were too nice to say no and although Katerina was hinting at leaving, I failed to read between the lines.  That was a big mistake! This one began to tell us his life story and how he gambled for a living.  Even worse Katerina had to suddenly leave, as she had to catch the last bus.  I thought oh no…do not leave me with this guy!!!  Luckily, I got rid of him quickly and safely made my way back to the hostel.  Other hostel guests were headed back to this same bar later in the evening around 10pm, but I was not sticking around for the late night crowd.  After the creepo, all I wanted to do was call it a night.  As the other travelers in my room headed out to the bar, all I heard was silence and went to bed peacefully.  Tomorrow would be another day in Surfer’s Dump.

No comments:

Post a Comment