Tuesday, May 17, 2011

2. Music is in the air


Some of us like to jam to music in the shower, in the privacy of our bedrooms, in our cars or for the brave and bold…on the dance floor. Melbournians on the other hand, love to jam to music on the streets, on the trains and on the trams. I didn’t make it a habit to carry my ishuffle or now my itouch on me because I liked to listen to everything else that’s going on around me and take it all in. The city noise, the tapping of heels and boots against the pavement, people’s random conversations, cars honking, trains running through the tracks, and trams passing by. You really get a sense of the city when you take a minute and listen. Asides from wanting to listen to my surroundings, sometimes I didn’t even have to listen to my own mp3 player because the person right next to me had their music blaring loud enough for you and everyone else to hear. But what I love about Melbourne is wherever you happened to be; you can always hear LIVE music. You can hear it on the crowded streets, in the alleyways, across restaurants near the river, or even on the rooftops. Melbourne never fails to entertain the masses with streets acts performing every night of the week. 

Recently, I was waiting to meet my friend Kieran’s mate on the corner of Swanston and Londsdale and a group of guys were marching down the street playing drums, trumpets, the saxophone, trombone, and they even had an announcer with them like the circus was coming through town. It was so random, but grand at the same time. There’s also this artist named Ben, who’s been playing across this restaurant called, World Bar, for over 5 years now and he is just amazing! One evening I was walking with my friend Rhett back to his car and heard this Coldplay song, or at least that’s what I remember. In any case, at first I thought it was the restaurant blaring the music but when I turned around this guy with only a guitar, an amp and mic was singing the song. He sounded just like him if not better. He did a few other cover songs and some were better than the originals, which is an unbelievable feat in my book. I was so mesmerized I had to stop, sit on the edge of the platform, freeze my tush, and even paid him a few dollars to play one of my requests. I wish I could have taken him home and have him played until I fell asleep every night.  

I sure am going to miss walking around the city and being able to listen to free live music.
 
Continuing on...
Not only do they have music floating around every direction, they have many big names come to town. But it’s not cheap and usually by the time I finally heard of the show coming, it was already sold out (I think I was too busy working to even have the time to look for a show). Melbourne advertises upcoming music talents on posters on main streets and alleyways (another form of art that decorated the city). They’d advertise several months in advance, especially music festivals that sold out quickly. I don’t know how because most of the shows are over $100, if not much more depending on the artist or festival. I can understand why the festivals would be so expensive because there are multiple artists playing, but still out of my budget. And although I missed some of my favorite artists come to town, like Anberlin, Jack Johnson, and Donovan Frankenreiter, I did have the opportunity to attend one of the largest music events they have here in Melbourne called the St. Kilda Festival. Local Australian artists play at different venues during the week and on the big Festival Sunday, several stages are scattered throughout the St. Kilda area where people mosey around to check out all the artists, acts, and of course food ;) Many of the streets are blocked off because close to half a million people can attend in one day. And after attending, I was so glad I didn’t work in any of the restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. in St. Kilda. One word…madness! It was a great day spent with friends.
 
Among the endless bars and music venues scattered about Melbourne, I had an opportunity to see this one act my friend John asked me to go to in Richmond. He didn’t tell me who was playing and I guess I failed to ask because in my definition a live act is simply great, especially when you don’t know whom. You don’t have any expectations but the freedom to accept anything that comes your way. I must say it’s one of the best acts I had EVER seen. It was weird, unique, abstract, entertaining and just amazing! I could have watched him for hours. The artist made his own instrument, which I wish I had a picture of it to show you because it was really cool. It was made of pipes, flanges, two strings, buttons, and a few other distinctive details. Two other venues worth mentioning if you do decide to visit Melbourne is the Espy and Prince of Wales located in St. Kilda and Cherry Bar located in the CBD down an alleyway called ACDC lane (pretty neat name for the alley). They have artists play every night. One cool thing about the Espy and Prince of Wales is they paint their schedule of upcoming shows on the side of the building. Oh and I almost forgot about this hidden little garden bar behind a record store called Pure Pop (also located in St. Kilda). During a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in the summer there are live bands that play. I missed my opportunity to see a show this time around as I worked basically every weekend :( I did however manage to get a few friends and myself there during the week for a pot or two of cider.  

Lastly, I do have to complain about how the speakers are super LOUD at any venue. I thought the music was loud at the NORVA…let me just say it can't touch the deafening affects of the venues in Australia. Some doctorly advice, bring good earplugs! Otherwise a great time with friends or just your lonesome because you're sure to make a friend along the way.  



    Guitarist down an alleyway while checking out the street art as well.



 
A street act performing in the middle of the afternoon down the busy shopping centre on Bourke Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment