Monday, May 23, 2011

3. Food and Wine for the Soul


Ya’ll know I had to mention this one. I couldn’t imagine a life without taste buds. Australia has much to offer in cuisine. Many people from all corners of the world have made this country their home and as a result it has food from the various countries. Indian, Moroccan, Filipino, Korean, Chinese, American, Irish, etc. etc., name it they have it. For such a small city, in comparison to some of ours in the states, they have made little districts a cultural hub. There are many Italian restaurants in Carlton, Chinese restaurants in Chinatown of the Central Business District (CBD), American influence is heavy as there are Micky D’s, a 7-11, KFC, Hungry Jack’s (aka Burger King) near every corner and Irish Pub’s scattered around. But the best part of all the places to eat is that many are not chain restaurants. Family restaurants are prevalent and owners work in the places they have built. They are all very personable unlike a lot of the places we have in VA. Don’t get me wrong, I love some of the chains we have like BRAVO’s, Cheesecake Factory, and P.F. Chang’s but there’s something about the owner putting their own hands to work. The staff knows the regulars and relationships quickly form. I’ve had the privilege of eating at one of the top restaurants in Melbourne if not in the country called Rock Pool. The lobster as my entrée, steak for my main (grain fed) along with side dishes to share with the group, and mango sorbet as dessert. After all the courses and wine, I don’t think I could have fit anything else inside of me. A very satisfactory experience and delicious food! Although the food and wine selection was excellent and their steaks phenomenal, I still feel that there are better places in Melbourne that you can get more “personal” service and beautiful food. It is a bit overrated for what it is and the price (Rhett will kill me after saying this). But I will say it was a great and unique experience, plus the company was delightful and entertaining. After trying out all the hospitality styles Oz has to offer, I like the small, funky, cozy, little pubs, café, restaurant, and bars offering a smaller distinct menu. Lucky for me, Melbourne has many of these on hand. The most exciting part and one of the reasons I LOVE Melbourne is you have to discover them hidden and tucked away in the laneways, small streets of the city or even on the outskirts of the CBD in St. Kilda, Brunswick, Richmond, or South Melbourne to name a few. Some of my favorite little spots are the Shanghai Dumpling House located on Tattersall’s Lane, Sister Bella in the alleyway of Drewery Lane, and this Italian place, (which I can’t remember the name of, but our amazing server Marcel is all I can remember) and this Fish and Chip shop called D'lish Fish, across from where I work in Port Melbourne (sshhhh…don’t tell them I like it better than ours). The selection of places to have a catch up with a friend or have a date is endless and thrilling to discover. 

Next on the list is the Vino!  Well to start, I never was a fan before I came to Australia, but as they say it is an acquired taste. I think now my tastes have sophisticated and have gained appreciation thanks to my friend Rhett. I especially didn’t like red wine because usually I was very put off by the smell alone. He insisted I try this one he ordered…and with reluctance I did. I have never been so surprised, but I loved it! I think I could have drunk the bottle all to myself. It was Reyes Chateauneuf-du-pape 1995. Fancy smancy name, right? At $400 a bottle at the bar called Siglo, I couldn't go wrong and what an introduction to mouth-watering red wine. Rhett has spoiled me and given me a taste of some of the best bottles since he's a connoisseur of wine and champagne alike. Ever since then, I’ve been trying a glass of wine with dinner, lunch or when I’m out. Not only is it cheaper, but better for me anyway. As a result, I’m a bit more knowledgeable of which types go with certain dishes and that white wine should come first, then red, and if you have room at the end of the meal, a delectable dessert wine. Australia has so many wines to offer that I'd find it hard to believe you couldn't find a bottle to suit your taste. Many of the wine are muy delicioso! There were several wineries in the Margaret River area is Western Australia but unfortunately I didn’t get an opportunity to stop at one of them while I was in that region earlier in September. Rest assured I will be back to do just that…and naturally score some surf as well. Before I leave I hope to get to visit Adelaide, as it’s known for as the wine country of Australia and well...it’s similar to my namesake. I look forward to bringing several bottles home and later try some of our own wine in VA. Perhaps take a wine tour of the Williamsburg Winery, the Napa Valley in CA, or just try more wine period. I’m excited about this new found interest in vino and hope to convince some of my other friends back home that a beer is just not that great tasting anymore. Lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment