Sunday, July 3, 2011

5. The Footy!!


What can I say but...I LOVE THE FOOTY!! Now back home everyone has their favorite NFL team, baseball team, NBA team, or NHL team, just to name a few of the most popular sports in America. But here is Australia...particularly in Melbourne, the majority barrack (aka "root") for a team in Aussie Rules Football (AFL). I thought American football and baseball fans were bad...man, the Aussies bring it to a whole nother level. The hats, beanies, scarves, jackets, jerseys, flags, socks, shorts, pins, etc.; name it they've got it and they sport it too. Not only do teams' colors come alive on game day, but the smack talk between the rivalries. For the majority there are the normal excited fans, but I've heard and seen some pretty intense things happen on and off the field. All that aside, the great thing about this sport, besides the hot guys that wear tiny little shorts and sleeve less jerseys to show off their caliber of guns, is the active participation of the community and the players. Most of the footy teams are neighboring cities and get moral support and funding from their members. I love seeing the fans/members, young, old, and all those in between rockin their team spirit walking about the city on game day. The sport is thrilling to watch as everyone on the field is always on the move. Not the stop and go mess when watching the NHL. Now don't get me wrong, I do like watching the occasional NFL game, but AFL is just better. No pads, no helmets, no breaks in 30 minutes of play...just men on the field in tip top condition passing the ball to kick a goal. I could go on a long spiel of how the game is played and all its terminologies, but all you need to know (or at least its my favorite part) is when a goal is scored and the umpire steps behind the middle of the two tallest poles and sticks both of his arms beside his waist, points and shoots out his fingers pretending he was the baddest cowboy in town...POW or what I would say, Cha-Ching! I know it sounds silly, but it's the best part (leave it to a girl to pick it is as the best part of the game...hehehe). The crazy thing about the sport, besides the rough play, is the player’s salary doesn’t even compare to that of an NFL or other professional player’s income in America. It is rougher and more physically demanding than most sports. A player runs for 4 quarters, each one lasting about 25-30 minutes, with only 4 substitutes during the whole game and season. There’s roughly 10-15 minute break between each quarter and a longer break during half time. Otherwise, during the entire game, the guys are constantly running, punting, passing, etc. Water boys even come out onto the field to bring water to the players so the game can continue with as little stoppage as possible. And if 4 players were to get injured in someway during the season, then only a few, if any, could be substituted for another player on the field. That is tough but a hell of a game! (Personally though, the foolish thing is how much we pay our players, yet were making budget cuts to schools. It doesn’t make much to me, but that’s a whole other argument.)
I first started to watch the sport just on television and sadly missed an opportunity to see the semifinals last season before I left for the west coast of Australia. On the other hand, this season I’ve attended about 10 games, thanks to Rhett who has season pass tickets to every game (I can’t even begin to thank him for all the games I’ve attended). They are so much fun…especially watching what all the crazy things the fans do and say. I’ve been trying to keep tabs on how the teams are doing so I can finally pick a team that I’d like to barrack, but it’s been a crazy season of ups and downs. Some teams have started strong is the pre-season, but are now slowing down. Usually a girl would pick a team because of the team’s colors (which sadly and honestly I have taken into small consideration…lol) or be a bandwagon fan of the top team like the Collingwood Magpies, but I want to watch the games and see which team is actually decent. Now almost at the tail end of this year’s season, it’s about time I picked a team. After yesterday’s game there’s no doubt in my mind I barrack for the Essendon Bombers. They are not doing too well this season BUT the only team this season that has beaten the undefeated Geelong Cats! I am definitely one for rooting for the underdog, even though I do like the colors of the Cats better ;) I’m excited to see how the season will end. I would even go so far to say that I’m so in love with this sport, I’d be willing to pay top dollar to fly back and see the Grand Finals (which happens to be very close to my birthday…hint hint). Until then…GO BOMBERS!

A bunch of geezers in their Western Bulldogs get up.

Me and Liz at the last Essendon game I attended and her first one in Melly...I'll miss the live matches!

No comments:

Post a Comment